Emily opted for a 45 minute nail
treatment. And I made my first mistake -
the body scrub for me please. J
And so began a chain of unfortunate, but
increasingly funny, events that 45 minutes later had me in hysterics.
It started with the preparation – I left
Emily comfortably reclined having her nails attended to and squeezed into a
tiny little cubicle with a green vinyl bed, a flimsy screen and a sheet roof hanging
down so low that even I had to duck. And
then – it was off with the threads and on with a freaky pair of black granny
knickers.
Then came the sand blasting. Scrub, scrub, scrub with what felt like extra-course,
industrial-grade, ultra-gritty P12 sandpaper. Not relaxing - things were not
going according to plan.
And throughout the onslaught I kept
thinking of Bear Grylls and his tips for surviving a sandstorm in the
Sahara. Take cover! Seek protection! Whatever you do - get out of the sand – it
can strip your flesh, expose bone, it can KILL!!
Enough of the drama and on to stage 2. Off with the ultra-course, super-abrasive,
P12 grit and on with a (comparably) delightful menthol medium P120
grade grit that (comparably) felt like a cool velvet feather. Following the cooling application came the cooling
fanning, followed by some more cooling fanning and then a bit more. A bit goosey by now.
Stage 3 – bubble contraption. Still gritty and smelling like a eucalypt
leaf it was off the bed and on to a small pouffe in what looked a bit like a kids plastic tee pee. All ok except for
the hair - a big black one. For most
people this would not be an issue, but for those who know me, stray hairs are so not my thing! Things were moving quickly
and it was only a the briefest of glances that revealed the hair, how many others were
lurking? Was I sitting on one? What was that funny smell? WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT NOISE?
In amongst all this relaxation was a power
explosion, yes that’s right – a power explosion. Not a tiny little blip like you get in Australia
when the fuse blows, that is no power explosion, THIS was a power
explosion. Needless to say the hairy
steam bath was cut short.
And all through this time I had been
wondering how my chilled gritty menthol nudey body was going to get clean.
Which brings me to stage 4 – a shower of course, only
one problem, no power, no shower J. And during the transition from bubble to
shower cubicle I happened to notice that not only was I gritty and mentholly,
but also bright orange. Sort of like a
minty, sandy, naked Ooompa Loompa. As
you could imagine I was feeling a little vulnerable and couldn’t help thinking
about Emily and her nails in the other room.
As the shower slowed from a cold trickle to
a cold drip all was not lost, in came a big bucket of extra chilled water. I emerged from stage 4 a bit gritty, a bit orange and and very goosey to find Miss M, complete with 20 trimmed, clean, hot pink nails, chatting
to happily to Mick who’d been waiting for 10 minutes while I was otherwise engaged in stage
4.
That’s it for me and body scrubs, next time
I’m in the beauty salon in Myanmar I’ll get my nails done J

Hilarious Penny!
ReplyDeleteAnd very brave of you...nails are way safer. Smart gal you've got there!
Bye
Robyn
Thanks Robyn. I had a little snicker writing it. :). Am in Billericay library right now, taking advantage of the free wi-fi whilst we wait for our house to be connected. Saw Mount Nessing Road yesterday, so will look up Janet once we're sorted.
ReplyDeleteHave put "One Day" on order here, but apparently I am 9th on the list. Think it's time to download it on the Kindle :)
Cheers
Penny