Last week, just as I was about to perform a demonstration of a precipitate reaction, the inevitable happened. The kids had gathered around the front bench, I had finally got them quiet and then in that initial moment of silence Harry let off a loud trump (English for let rip, busted his guts, baked an air biscuit - get my drift?).
The class snickered.
Not batting an eye-lid I fixed Harry with a Bronwyn Bishop inspired death stare, put my hands on my hips, deepened my (permanent) frown lines and began a lengthy tirade into the dangers of trumping in the lab, including mention of....
noxious fumes, naked flames, possible explosion, high level of recklessness, putting classmates at risk etc etc etc.
There was silence. They weren't quite sure how to take it, was I serious, was I not?
Inside I was killing myself. This was a good trick and about time I got one back.
Harry lost his triumphant look, the class remained silent and without further ado I slipped neatly back into demonstration mode as though the trump had never existed.
Miss Price one, class none! J
No comments:
Post a Comment