Monday, 2 July 2012

Southend on Sea

Southend on Sea is about 40 minutes south of Billericay and on the mouth of the river Thames.  We spent 3 nights there at the lovely and very Faulty Towers-like Cobham Lodge Hotel.
Cobham Lodge Hotel
On the morning of day one we had a birthday breakfast for me J then took a train to Leigh on Sea, a tiny fishing village just two stops away.
Leigh on Sea
And then in the afternoon it was off to the longest (and perhaps the windiest) Pier in the world!!  Interestingly Southend on Sea is supposed to be the warmest and driest spot in England and it was cold, windy and rainy just about the whole time we were there.  Doesn't sound too good for the rest of the country then J.
Southend on Sea Pier
Day two was spent here....
Adventure Land
I was keen to really test the camera out with all sorts of action shots on roller coasters, but after about 5 spinny, vomit-inducing rides that was it for moi!  As I'd stagger off each ride, feeling increasingly seedier and thinking "yay - ticked that one off", the kids had already double backed and were in line again.  Thankfully they had the confidence to go on the rides minus adult.  Even Steve gave up after an upside down stint on "The Claw"!

We also discovered penny pushing machines.  I remember these from Blackpool when I was not much older than the boys.  Tim and I were hooked from the word go and they are just as addictive now.  After about an hour of playing we had to physically drag the kids away to cries of "Oh come on, just 2p more pleeeaaase!"

4 comments:

  1. Nice pics!

    collages were done on your MacBonnie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, downloaded a free app called Collage It, if I pay I get rid of the water mark and can resize photos, but so far haven't needed to?

      Who is this by the way? I'm just seeing anonymous. Also - thanks for posting a comment - it is my second one only, so it's hard to work out (apart from stats) if people are reading and what they think.

      PP

      Delete
  2. yeah the watermarks are really detracting. you should pay $20 for the full version.

    have been reading and enjoying your blog. been trying to get my dad to start one... to save him telling the same stories to everyone. "save it dad, i've already read your blog" :)

    thought MacBonnie might have been enough of a clue?

    PB

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah ha - I'm on to you Paul Beer. And no, MacBonnie was not enough of a clue :)

    ReplyDelete